- Welcome to BookRix
- Our Self-Publishing Services
- How to Create an eBook
- How to Read an eBook on BookRix
- My BookRix Account
- The BookRix Community
- Self-Publishing FAQs
- Cost and Registration
- Protection of Minors
- Technical Issues
- Updating Your Information and Technical Support
- By publishing with BookRix, do I transfer my copyright to BookRix?
- Does BookRix have the exclusive publishing rights of the books?
- Can I put a book for sale, when I am not the copyright owner, but I have bought the license rights for a the book?
- May I re-publish my manuscript that I previously displayed on BookRix on other sites?
- I've already placed my work in many online boards. May I also post them on BookRix?
- Am I allowed to post books samples on BookRix that I have already published with a publishing house and are available in stores or online retailers?
- Can I create samples for my author website on BookRix?
- Can I upload a smaller part of my book as a sample?
- What about fanfiction?
- If I cite the source of the material that I’m using, is that enough to protect me from copyright infringement?
- What do I need to know about copyright infringement?
1. By publishing with BookRix, do I transfer my copyright to BookRix?
Definitely not. You always keep your complete copyright. What you wrote is yours.Copyright/Fanfiction
2. Does BookRix have the exclusive publishing rights of the books?
BookRix does not and will never own the exclusive rights to your content. By publishing your book on BookRix.com, you only give us the right to show your work on our website and through our partner channels. Once you remove the book we can no longer use it, which would be sad but we’ll get over it.
If you delete your content (sniff, sniff), we no longer have the right to display your work. However, you may not upload your book using the BookRix format to other websites since BookRix owns the proprietary rights to the book format technology. That’s how we roll in these parts.Copyright/Fanfiction
3. Can I put a book for sale, when I am not the copyright owner, but I have bought the license rights for a the book?
If you have the exclusive license rights it is okay (like publishing houses normally do). But we don´t distribute eBooks when the copyright owner has sold the license rights to multiple persons for money, because we want to prevent the risk that identical eBooks are sold via BookRix with different ISBN.Copyright/Fanfiction
4. May I re-publish my manuscript that I previously displayed on BookRix on other sites?
Yes. Since the rights of your content belong to you (remember, what you wrote is yours), you can decide where you would like to publish them (on your homepage, online boards, etc.). However, if you have your book for sale, you can’t use another publisher to publish the same eBook in the online eBook market.Copyright/Fanfiction
5. I've already placed my work in many online boards. May I also post them on BookRix?
Of course. As long as you comply with the Code of Conduct (The great rules of BookRix), you can publish any manuscript to which you hold the copyright. But again, if your book is already published with another publisher for sale, you may not be able to self-publish your eBook via BookRix.Copyright/Fanfiction
6. Am I allowed to post books samples on BookRix that I have already published with a publishing house and are available in stores or online retailers?
Yes! However, you should label the book clearly as a sample. Otherwise, readers may expect a complete book and may judge negatively as a result. Check with your publishing house to see if you are allowed to publish your content on BookRix as your publishing house may hold the copyright and not you.Copyright/Fanfiction
7. Can I create samples for my author website on BookRix?
Yes, you can use BookRix as a marketing tool for your external website totally free of charge.Copyright/Fanfiction
8. Can I upload a smaller part of my book as a sample?
You sure can. You can divide your longer story and publish it as a series. You can then link a series of books together so readers can easily go from one to the next via links on the book’s page. We almost make it fool proof. Otherwise, you can simply publish a smaller portion of your book as a sample for readers. You might even develop a dedicated fan club by releasing your story or stories in segments on BookRix. Who wouldn’t want a fan club?Copyright/Fanfiction
9. What about fanfiction?
Here comes some legal mumbo jumbo. Fanfiction normally uses content of existing works (films, books, etc.). However, often this happens without the permission of the authors or the rights’ holders. Even if fanfiction authors accurately represent the copyright holders in their books, this does not qualify as legal approval from the copyright holder allowing use of his or her work for fanfiction literature. Therefore, a large part of fanfiction works are legally inadmissible. So the fanfiction category can be seen as an invitation to violate copyright and we want to avoid such complications. So, in other words it’s not OK so don’t do it.
But on the bright side, there’s also legal fanfiction which are fanfiction books based on books or films whose very kind authors allow the use of the content. These books may be posted on BookRix, according to our General Terms and Conditions (remember the great rules of BookRix). In this case, you have to select the appropriate category (e.g. science fiction or fantasy) in the Subcategory field. You can introduce any other category you want to.Copyright/Fanfiction
10. If I cite the source of the material that I’m using, is that enough to protect me from copyright infringement?
Sorry to say, no. A written reference will not protect you in a court of law against a copyright case. You have to obtain written permission.Copyright/Fanfiction
11. What do I need to know about copyright infringement?
This is a serious issue and can get you into a lot of trouble. BookRix is protected if a member violates copyright or plagiarism laws. It’s up to you, as a member, to protect yourself from getting sued and paying A LOT of money.
BookRix has been flagged with many members who are in violation. We have also been flagged by the individual authors and artists who have found their own work on BookRix. Some have taken legal action against the members who may have plagiarized their work or have used their art in books and covers.
If BookRix is notified, about books on your profile, that you do not own the rights to, they will be removed immediately. If this offense is continued, your account will be deleted without warning.
Below is what could happen to you if you break copyright laws.
Be smart and protect yourself. It’s your responsibility.
• If you are found guilty of deliberately breaking or "infringing" copyright law, the owner of the copyrighted material can sue you for monetary damages. Damages in this case means the amount of money the owner lost due to a lack of sales of their materials because you were offering it without copyright. For example, if the owner claims and can prove a loss of $15,000, he can sue you for that sum.
• You may also have to pay statutory damages based on the value of each movie, piece of music or other material for which you broke the copyright. "Willful infringement"--meaning that you deliberately stole copyrighted material--can cost you $900 to $300,000 per work stolen. "Innocent infringement," in which you are deemed to have done the copyright breaking without intent, can still cost you $300 to $150,000 in statutory damages.
• Judges can also impose fines on individuals convicted of copyright infringement. According to the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, individuals convicted of peer-to-peer sharing of movies, music or other materials worth up to $1,000 in a 6-month period can be given fines of $2,000 per infringement. Convicted individuals can also be banned from file-sharing sites or the entire Internet by injunctions, or orders, from a judge. Repeat offenders, or individuals or companies who are stealing copyrighted materials and selling them for profit, can be fined up to $1,000,000.Copyright/Fanfiction